Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Why yes, I AM available

So I have been dating lately.

And I hate dating. In fact, I think one of the best things about being married is that dates (rare as they are lately) are actually fun. But, I am once again venturing out onto the dating scene. And oh, it is rough. The boys and I had a playdate with a new friend last Friday, and before you start thinking that doesn't really count as a date, wait. We showed up, sat through some awkward silences, and left not really knowing how it went, or if we'd ever get another call. I think it counts.

You see the kids and I have several friends that we get together with regularly to play. And they all get along great. Cade is a typical two year old boy: by that I mean that he runs, screams, throws stuff, doesn't like to share, and throws tantrums sometimes. At least I hope that is all typical. Anyways, Cade did all of these typical things, but the other little boy, he did not. He does not scream a lot, does not throw things that are not balls, sits and plays QUIETLY with play-dough and does NOT eat it, and understands what it means when his mommy says "give Cade that toy now". Wow. Talk about advanced.

Anyways, Cade made the boy cry on four separate occasions WITHOUT EVEN TOUCHING HIM. He threw food all over their kitchen, almost broke this beautiful glass tray that they had on their coffee table (that is how advanced their son is, we don't have a glass anything), would not share, would not conceal his screaming excitement over their toys, woke up her other son, and climbed on their furniture. At someone else's house, the things that I would consider typical and even good behavior started to look like naughtiness REAL quick. The glimmer of hope is that at the very end of our date, the boys started laughing together, but most of it was spent trying to shield them from the loudness that is my son.

Yes, me and the boys are putting the 'date' back into play date. We are just sitting by the phone, wondering if they'll call, or if I should call, do I give them three days? Who should call who first? If she says they are all "sick" does that mean that they don't want to get together? Should we just play it cool, like, "yeah we enjoyed ourselves, maybe we'll run into each other again...." I tell ya, I don't remember the "rules" for dating, and I am not really sure how to handle this one.

1 comment:

The Brandt Clan said...

Brit, Brit, Brit! You ALWAYS make me laugh- you should write books! Seriously, that's great! Thanks so much for the great laugh!!! Love you girl!